Sunday, November 17, 2013

I have a choice.

I have a choice, everyday in everyway.
The world is full of hatred from person on person to party on party to nation on nation. The end of hatred is separation and a failure to recognize the potential good in the face of those I disagree with. Hatred leads to failing to accept the things we have in common and seeking the common good we yearn for. Hatred ends in demonizing others creating barriers to love and compassion. I have a choice to contribute to the chaos and confusion or to say and live a better way.
The world is full of anger and fear between races and religions and ideologies. Anger leads to name calling and stereotyping and "deafness" that prevents me from listening to those I disagree with and refusing to consider the possibility that they are well-meaning as well and desire many shared values that our anger has prevented us from clarifying. I have a choice to contribute to the chaos and confusion or to say and live a better way.
The world is full of violence and people whose first and only answer is the forceful, hostile imposition of their narrow, destructive perspective on all who offer alternatives. Many times this violence is perpetrated by so called religious people condoning their hostility in the name of their god. Sometimes they are honest enough to recognize their actions have no religious justification. I have a choice to contribute to the chaos and confusion or to say and live a better way.
Ignorance, hatred, anger, and violence end in the disintegration of social fabric, the common good, and a higher human purpose and goal. I have a choice to contribute to the chaos and confusion or to say and live a better way.
Martin Luther King Jr said the life worth living is the life lived in service to others. I think it was Mother Theresa who said we are not called to succeed, only to serve. No one said it would be easy!

No comments:

Post a Comment